Thursday, July 25, 2013

Plastic Drink Container - Bird Feeder

My hubby is an avid tea drinker. There is never a time in our house that we don't have at least 3-4 of the little plastic drink containers lying around. I've already used several for marker storage and I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out what more I can do with them. They are decently sturdy and a good size, so I figure I might as well upcycle them.

Finally, I thought of something else I can do with them. (It only took 6 months). :D

Supplies:

Plastic drink container
Long pop stick
Knife (I used a box cutter)
Decorating supplies



1. Cutting out the holes for the stick. I used my giant Crop-a-Dile to punch the first hole in the lid. The bottom was trickier because the Crop-a-Dile wouldn't reach. I just used a box cutter and made a little "x". This way the stick fit pretty tightly too. Next I cut the big rectangle. (It was a hack job for sure.) I'm sure there are better ways to cut it but I was in a hurry and all I had was my box cutter. 

2. Then I decided to jazz it up a bit with some Sharpies. I just drew some vines and leaves to get an idea of what I could do with it. You could do all kinds of things here. Draw a little diner, use the themed Duck tape, paint, etc. I like the Duck tape idea because you could hide any imperfections. Such as a hack job. :)

3. I used some wire I had in my scrapbooking supplies and wrapped it around the ends of the stick to make a hanger.

That's it. Super easy and full of possibilities. I have plenty more containers to work with. I might do this as a craft with the kiddos too. 


No comments: