Saturday, August 31, 2013

The finished (I think) product!

I was walking with a friend the other day and got the idea to finish Colson's costume with a baseball hat. I had seen lots of cute hats, but they were mostly felt or yarn. In 80+ degree weather, that would have been a little rough. Then the inspiration struck to use a baseball cap.

I used the grey yarn to make the stitches across the top of the hat and then added two big, black buttons for Sackboy's eyes. He was quite happy with it. The only thing I am unsure of now, is whether or not to add some red material to the brim to make his tongue. DH thinks I should, but I need to see how it would look first.

Here is the entire costume.

Now to find some shorts to match and I think it will be a pretty cool costume. I'm glad that went so easily. That is rare for me.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Little Big Planet Halloween Costume

My son's Halloween costume is nearly done! This may be a record for me. I never get stuff done this early.

DS wants to be Sackboy from Little Big Planet this year. Costumes from this game are not easy to come by. To further complicate the issue I need something that is relatively cool because we are going to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party this year during our Disney World vacation in September. Florida in September is still an inferno.

I set out to find a dark brown shirt. Luckily I found one at Wal-mart pretty early on. On clearance even! I then went to JoAnn's and got some silvery yarn to make the stitches. I also got 1/2 a yard of grey fabric to make the "zipper". All of this was pretty easy to do. I cut out the little triangles and glued them with fabric glue. The stitches I made using a yarn darner needle.

The hardest part was the zipper pull. I didn't want to just use fabric because it would bunch. So I set out to make it with cardstock. I lost count of how many layers I ended up using. I just kept covering one up because I didn't like the look. Finally I just printed the zipper on some grey textured cardstock I had and put contact paper over it.

To attach the zipper I used my Crop-a-dile and added a brad. Then I used the silvery yarn to attach it. Attaching it was easier than I anticipated.

To finish the look I am going to look for a plain, brown hat to sew two big black buttons on. I might add a little red tongue on the bill since that is a classic Sackboy look. (Since I'm such an expert). :D

The only other thing is his shorts. I don't know if I should bother with trying to find dark brown shorts or just let the shirt and hat do the job. Since I have plenty of time, I guess I can figure it out later. :) I may hold off and find brown jogging pants so that he can wear them for trick-or-treating here. Where it's very possible to be frigid.